The local markets each weekend rotate from town to town. They allow local people of the area to sell their items. Things such as arts and crafts, fashion, bric a brac and food are only a small example of the numerous items you will find. The largest of the markets are Byron Bay, Bangalow and the Channon. All are a great way to feel the atmospehere of the area and and see the different and varied offerings from the north coast region.
Almost everyone who gets to go to one of the markets will invariably buy something. The kids can also enjoy themselves by going on a ride, getting their face painted, their hair braided or having a go at the candle making stall. There’s a great selection of fresh food stalls that sell local produce as well as other types of food ranging from fresh fruit juices to specialty foods from overseas such as Thailand, Italy, Mexico, Jamaica as well as there being crepes, locally made coffee, chai, tea and organic doughnuts.
If you do get a chance to visit one of the markets you will see why they are so popular with both locals and tourists that visit the area. Below shows the days where each is held:
First Week of the Month
- Brunswick Heads Markets – 1st Saturday of the month
- Murwillumbah Markets – 1st Saturday of the month
- Byron Bay Markets – 1st Sunday of the month
- Pottsville Markets – 1st Sunday of the month
- Lismore Car Boot Market – 1st Sunday of the month
Second Week of the Month
- Kingscliff Markets – 2nd Saturday of the month
- The Channon Markets – 2nd Sunday of the month
- Alstonville Markets – 2nd Sunday of the month
- Lennox Head Markets – 2nd Sunday of the month
Third Week of the Month
- Lismore Car Boot Market – 3rd Sunday of the month
- Mullumbimby Markets – 3rd Saturday of the month
- Nimbin Markets -3rd Sunday of the month
- Pottsville Markets – 3rd Sunday of the month
Fourth Week of the Month
- Kingscliff Markets – 4th Saturday of the month
- Bangalow Markets – 4th Sunday of the month
The local Farmers Markets have organic, locally-grown food at affordable prices. They support local growers whilst giving the shoppers a nice way to spend their morning outdoors. Produce includes both tropical and temperate fruit and vegetables, as well as meat, seafood, eggs, coffee and a whole range of specialty gourmet items.
See below for a list of dates and locations of farmers’ markets around the area. The markets generally start around 8am and finish about 11am.
Weekly Farmers Markets
- New Brighton Farmers – Tuesday
- Byron Farmers Market – Thursday
- Bangalow Farmers Market – Saturday
- Lismore Farmers Market – Saturday